Sunday 26 October 2014

'PROJECT 333'


Additional items: 
Item 26 - small black satchel handbag 
Item 27 - 3/4 sleeve patterned long top 
Item 28 - Navy Gap Jumper 
Item 29 - Faux leather slip ons 
Item 30 - ?
Item 31 - ?
Item 32 - ?
Item 33 - ? 

When I first came across minimalism and the idea of simple living and living with less, I immediately found myself wondering how on earth people could 'cope' with having a small wardrobe or a limited selection of clothes. Then it hit me; last year I threw away my wardrobe (physically) and downsized to two chest of drawers from Ikea, of course. So, in theory I don't own that many clothes and come to think of it I stick to the same outfits 95% of the time. So how are all 6 drawers over flowing along with a revolving 'chairdrobe' and a never ending pile of laundry?

When searching for minimalism advice and tips if you will, I stumbled across something known only as 'Project 333' - the idea is quite simple really. For 3 months you choose only 33 items to form your 'capsule wardrobe'. I'll be the first to admit, I am in no sense of the word 'fashionable' I'm a firm believer in comfort over fashion and I will always opt for a laid back, comfy style of clothing rather than a pretty dress.

If we consider how dubious I was of living life with less clothing, I now seem like somewhat of a a fool... I couldn't even find 33 season appropriate items I liked! Turns out this would be easier than I had imagined. Of course, basics such as underwear, everyday jewellery (my silver ring and bracelet that I never take off), pyjamas and lounge wear don't count in your 33 items - but everything else, including the shoes, coats and accessories count towards your Project 333.

As you can see my colour palette is very plain, I enjoy monochrome and grey and I'm perfectly okay with having a relatively colour-less wardrobe - as these are the clothes I love and feel comfortable in. I've opted for plain, mix and match items that are comfortable, warm and suitable for autumn/winter here in the UK. So even with 3 styles of jean, 3 leggings, a coat, 3 styles of shoes, a few t-shirts and scarves I've found myself 6 items short of the 33 items suggested. I imagine I'll discover another couple items I really do love wearing this time of year and I've saved room for a Christmas outfit or something special for a rare night out. But for now, these items are my wardrobe until January and I must say - getting dressed in the mornings is SO much easier having only 2 of my 6 drawers to choose from. 

If you're interested in embarking on your own Project 333 you can find all of the background info and 'rules' here 

No comments:

Post a Comment